Friday, January 27, 2017

Review: Keystone

Title : Keystone
Series : Crossbreed #1
Author : Dannika Dark
ASIN : B01MUBEP9H
Edition : Kindle (Released January 17, 2017)
Page counts : 319 pages
Language : English
Genre : Adult, Paranormal Romance, Fantasy
Average Rating : 4.31 (per January 27, 2017)
Hotness Scale : 2/5
Read date : January 17th, 2017
Add to Goodreads


BLURB:   
Raven Black hunts evildoers for fun, but her vigilante justice isn’t the only reason she’s hiding from the law. Half Vampire, half Mage, she’s spent years living as a rogue to stay alive. When a Russian Shifter offers her a job in his covert organization hunting outlaws, dignity and a respectable career are finally within her grasp. The catch? Her new partner is Christian Poe - a smug, handsome Vampire whom she’d rather stake than go on a stakeout with.

They're hot on the trail of a human killer who will stop at nothing to get what he wants. One misstep during her probationary period could jeopardize Raven’s chance at redemption, and her partner would love nothing more than to see her fail. Will Raven find the courage to succeed, or will she give in to her dark nature?

Dark secrets, unexpected twists, and a blurred line between good and evil will keep you on the edge of your seat.

Crossbreed is a powerful new Urban Fantasy Romance series that will captivate your imagination.
Immortals live among us.

I always have a weakness for a good paranormal romance. It's my comfort genre, a go-to genre when all else fails. Well, not counting re-reading several books I love. If I got bored, I could always re-discover my love for reading via PNR.

"Don't you know who I am? I'm the Shadow. Legend has it that if a man loses his shadow, it means I ate it, and I'm coming for the rest of him."

Dannika Dark is a fairly new author for me. I've read Seven Years. Apparently, the world between her series is the same. While I was a bit unimpressed with Seven Years, I got better with Keystone. I just adored our main character, Raven Black. A Crossbreed between Vampire and Mage, she has the magic but also the characteristics of a Vampire. She's a vigilante, dealing her own brand of justice. Her luck changes when she's approached by another Mage who offers her a job in his own organization. She figures she can nail it. Well, until she finds out her partner is Christian Poe.

Christian reminded me of a cross between a handsome pirate and a serial killer.

Just a bit reminder, in case you don't know (I didn't either), Christian Poe is a major character from the Mageri series. He's a Vampire. And he's so condescending toward Raven, certain that she only wants to join Keystone for her own gains. Her loyalty is tested again and again. And Christian would love nothing more than to see Raven fails. Or worse.


Okay. For the characters, I think I bonded better with the Keystone team. Simply put, they're a well-oiled team, a mix of several breeds like Chitahs, Mages, Vampires, Shifters. The characters are well developed, and I just got this sense that in every character, there are some hidden depths that will surprise me in the next books. And surprisingly, even if Christian is a bit too hostile towards Raven, he's a likeable character. Just...maybe he should tune down his disdain before one of them gets killed. But the fact that he's Irish helps him a lot in my books.

"You lust for a Vampire, and that scares the feck out of you. Imagine the holy mortifying shame of it."

Raven Black. Such a faceted, crazy, witty, and reckless heroine. Can't deny she makes some stupid moves, but well. If it works out in the end :) She has her issues with others, mostly trust issues. But somehow they make her more real and vulnerable. She reminds me a bit of Kate Daniels. I love her dynamics with others in the Keystone team. Their camaraderie, their banters, they're great. I have to admit, her connection and chemistry with Christian, while palpable, it's still lacking a significant progress :( But if I can wait for Simon Wolfgard and Meg Corbyn builds a relationship in four books without as much as a kiss, I think I can wait for Christian and Raven. Imagine the explosions. And probably their denials. I'm such an evil reader *grin evilly*

The plot is seamless, utterly engrossing, and while sometimes there are parts that drag, I still enjoyed the book a whole lot. The main characters, the secondary characters, they are all...wonderful. Full of life and no one sits on the sidelines. The book's also detailed without being boring. So far, the only thing disappointing me (more miffed than disappointed, actually) is the whole Christian-Raven and their attitude towards each other. And a small part in the end. Well.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to leave comments :)
Any comment is welcome! Spams, commercials, and offensive comments will be deleted promptly.

Thank you for visiting~~

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...